Friday, October 5, 2018

Saving for Vacation or a Rainy Day

Try this new way to save for a vacation or a rainy day. 

Several years ago I read about a lady who decided to stop spending $5 bills. Instead, she would but them in a jar and when she got enough she would invest them in something that would earn more money than the jar (which was $0). 

I mulled that over and decided I would give it a try. I proceeded to put every $5 bill I got into a box. However, instead of reinvesting it, I would use it as spending money for our yearly vacation. We would use it for eating, souvenirs, attractions...whatever. We didn't use it for gas, hotel, car rental, or airfare. 


I have been doing this for about ten years and it has worked out really well. My plan has extended to include $1 bills (sometimes) and my husband's pocket change. We have had anywhere from $300 to $700 to spend on our vacation. The longer the time between vacations; the more we have to spend.

Try it; you'll never miss those $bills and loose change...and you'll love counting the money when it's vacation time.


No comments:

Post a Comment