Friday, August 16, 2013

Retirement 101: No. 4 TIME IS UP!

Get out and Get going!  What have you always wanted to do, but couldn't or just didn't make the time for it?  Pencil and paper time-make a list of  "always wanted to do's" and why!

After my 'one year off' stretched to three years, it was past time.  I needed something to do that #1 would get me out of the house; #2 be around people; and #3 I had always wanted to do.  That something for me was being a librarian.  My educational opportunity didn't lead me there so I that's where I headed. 

I volunteered in the Sale Room at the Central Arkansas Library System.  True I wasn't a librarian, as such, but I was in one and shelving books like I was one.  Also, it met all 
of my criteria.  


Me-Bottom Shelf on Left



Before I knew it, I was working a few hours a week as a Page at the Fletcher Branch as well as volunteering.  Next, I found myself with the title of Library Assistant I.  Who knew?

Then, we decided to move to Hot Springs Village.  In the process, we needed to get rid of a lot of 'stuff'.  I had most of the 'stuff' left over from my days in the Flea Market Business.  I a lovely lady at the library suggested I look at selling the 'stuff' on Etsy.com.  The rest is history.  I opened my shop, Esmee Lynne in July, 2011. 

My goals: get rid of all the 'stuff'; make some WAM (Walking Around Money); and have fun doing it.  I am proud to say that after two years I am accomplishing these goals. --Doesn't meet my criteria, but it's Mine.

I retired again from my day job when we moved to Hot Springs Village, Arkansas. And, yes, you guessed it! I am volunteering at the Hot Springs Village Coronado Library.  I found other activities that meet my criteria:  Quilt Guild and Computer Club. (Still thinking about the Camera Club?)   


Over 8,000 Volumes
Lots of Patrons
keeps one busy!


Golf was never on my 'wish I had done that' list, but I find that it meets #1 and #2 of my criteria.  Chuck and I try to play once a week.  It is quickly becoming something 'I want to do'. It gives us an activity to do together.  As does, Brush Strokes, a Village art club.  Chuck is an acrylic artist and I do mixed media/altered art projects...Another 'together' activity.


If I can 'Get Out and Get Going',
you can do it, too!  
My Motto: Keep moving!


No comments:

Post a Comment